My presentation is about how public service broadcaster Yle got to use Google Apps and why we came to create a social intranet. It’s something no one has done before, and I’m very proud of my employer and our leaders and also our open-minded project team.
Google Apps and social intranet makes the work related and internal communication more democratic and gives all the employees an equal opportunity to share their expertise. Teamwork, sharing and discussion are easier than ever. The way of working is changing, so the enterprise tools must answer the challenge.
I’m going to lead the audience through the steps and decisions we made during the project. I’ll show how our intranet works and tell how we came up to those functionalities and what we aim to achieve with them.
Here are some of the key takeaways from my session:
- it’s hard to think outside the box
- keep searching for good and open-minded partners, they may come up from somewhere you did not expect
- when talking about an intranet, talk to the users. It’s too often that an intranet is planned and designed by the administrative department (HR, communications etc)
- keep your project team small and effective, use agile methods if possible
- keep your eyes open for new technologies
- managing is communication, so encourage your leaders to use the new tools and to find their way of sharing and collaborating